I am soooo excited for my younger sister Sarah. Two days ago she boarded an airplane for the first time so she could study abroad in Thailand for three months. She is not going to be able to call home often so they have arranged for us all to get email updates this is the first one.
Dear Friends and Family:
One Asian blessing states, "May you live in UNINTERESTING TIMES." Well yesterday's travel was very interesting. Our JFK group left 2 hours late and missed their connection in Taipei by 30 minutes. The LAX group tried to stall the flight to CNX without avail and so our group split in Taipei.
The LAX group arrived in Chiang Mai on time but without 20 pieces of luggage. The JFK group arrived 6 hours later, mostly without luggage having to make an unscheduled stop at Bangkok airport.
After dinner (about 7:00 PM Chiang Mai time), 6 of the men and I returned to the airport to collect almost all of our luggage and the students went to bed at 10:30 PM. I think we are only missing two pieces of luggage and the airlines are looking for those pieces.
As you can see, I am up early (4 AM) thinking about the day's activities and wondering when the 2 pieces of luggage will arrive. In the mean time the airlines have given some permission to shop and retain receipts.
All of this is to say that things are interesting here!! The students have a great attitude and seem to be enjoying themselves even though tired. In two days our internal clocks will be reset.
Today we will meet the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and the Vice-President for International Affairs at Chiang Mai University. I will give my orientation lecture and our 10 CMU student "buddies" will take the
SST students shopping. We are all ready to get things started and have
the "trip of a lifetime." Tomorrow we ride elephants and take a "jungle cruise" down a rainforest river on a bamboo raft. The students will never forget the fun of this adventure.
I hope it doesn't get too much more interesting in the next few days. Our love to all of you who are staying home. May you live in uninteresting times.
Director, Spring Semester in Thailand
I am so excited for her, she has always amazed me and I am truly grateful that she is my sister. Love You Sarah!
2 comments:
How exciting for her. I've never been there, but studied that part of the world during a few colleges courses. It sounds like an amazing place. Can't wait to see more updates :-)
What an amazing experience. If there is one thing I regret about my college days it would be not carrying through with my plans to study in Rome for a semester. I met DK just after I put in for the program and well, you know.....I didn't go. Good for you, Sarah! Best of luck!!!
Post a Comment