Friday, September 14, 2007

To Worry or not to Worry

The other night we attended Ethan's kindergarten open house. I was floored as the teachers explained the curriculum for the year. I can't believe they expect my 4 1/2-year-old so0n to be 5 to be able to read and write three sentences with punctuation by the end of the year along with 25 sight words he has to know and 44 more just for fun. I was shocked! When the teachers finished their presentation I asked Ethan's teacher how he was adjusting being one of the young kids with a December birthday. His teacher explained that Ethan has a shorter attention span and isn't at the same maturity level than some of the others. There are 4 boys in his class that are 6 already. Of course he's not as mature as them. With tears in my eyes, I explained that the preschool suggested that we move him to kindergarten. I felt so badly. I went to bed sick to my stomach wondering if we made the right decision and if he will be damaged by the high expectations they have for these kids. I remember learning my alphabet in kindergarten! I felt so much better after speaking with a friend who gave me some great advice "don't let him see that you are worried" and if he needs to repeat kindergarten tell him"it was such a great year lets do it again."

2 comments:

Cherished Moments Turned Into Family Memories said...

Unfortunately No Child Left Behind has placed great stress on educators and students alike. Ethan has an amazing memory. Let him adjust and if he spends two years in kindergarten - who cares. Let him enjoy school and more importantly let him build a passion for learning. Keep your chin up and a smile on your face!

Unknown said...

I don't know any other nearly five year-old with such knowledge of bees and their tongues, so NO Worries.