Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Over Loaded

I went to the doctors today(thanks Kayla for babysitting) and grabbed this little book knowing that it's super short and so much fun to read. I love the metaphors she uses. Emily explains that she teaches her children to do laundry but starts with harmless towels. One of her children was running a load of towels, as she was working in the kitchen when she heard a terrible noise in the laundry room. "I rushed downstairs too find my washing machine rocking and groaning like a wounded animal." Hurrying to lift the lid she finds a very overloaded washer(fourteen full size bath towels to be exact). She uses this metaphor: I am a fourteen-towel woman in a ten-towel-capacity life.

I LOVE this metaphor, it reminds me of doing laundry as a kid and wondering why the washer would always rock when I did laundry(OOPS) my mother explained to me that I needed to readjust or lighten the load. Finding balance is one of the things I struggle the most with. On Sunday my Bishop said "we may need to prioritize and adjust our schedules." He was talking about saving on gas, but I think this also pertains to finding balance in our lives as well.

I hope that I will be able to find balance in my life as I adjust my load.

Thanks to all of you who have been so patient and understanding with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that little book as well. Aren't we all struggling to find that balance in our lives?

Christy said...

I love Emily Watts and how her sense of humor helps us find perspective. I have more books by her if you want to read them.

Maureen serrano said...

Finding balance in our lives is a dificult thing, but is not imposible, we all need to find a way to balance the load without breaking the machine, prioritizing is a good way to balance our lives from the multiple things that we as woman try to juggle with. I know what you mean, and I also searching for that balance in my life.